Thursday 9 May 2013

Exploring Alternatives: Can we live, learn and earn in our communities?

One of the questions we started looking at in exploring alternatives is whether we can live, learn and earn in our communities.

During our networking event at the Grandview Gardens I asked some questions about live, learn and earn as part of continuing to explore what sustainable community through kai might mean.


  • What would it look like if I lived in a sustainable community? How would I eat? What would I eat?
  • What would it look like if I was learning in a sustainable community? Who would be the teacher? What would I be learning?
  • What would it look like if I earned in a sustainable community? What would I get paid for? How would I get paid? What would be valued?


As one participant sagely commented to me afterwards "As you asked those questions Faye all I could think about was national standards and whether knowing a students level on the national standard could possibly be part of living in a sustainable community". Gradually though over the hour or two that we spent in and around the garden I think a few more possibilities for sustainable communities emerged.

We did talk about what is valued in a sustainable community and got onto timebanks and how an hour in the garden might enable an hour of computer training, or dress making or reading tutoring, or whatever speciality skill you might be able to offer. Hamilton's timebank is up and running see http://hamilton.timebanks.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment